The summer is about to conclude with a creeping, atmospheric, gory bang, because Emily Kubincanek is back on The Extra Milestone to discuss a trio of Horror Classics! We start with a look at Sean S. Cunningham’s iconic slasher Friday the 13th, and how it sets itself apart from other such films, as well as the excitement of it all that still plays today. We continue with a discussion of James Whale’s sequel Bride of Frankenstein, including the similarities to Mary Shelley’s novel and how Universal crafted a new narrative around the characters. Finally, we dive into the hellish effects showcase that is the late Stuart Gordon’s Re-Animator!
- 00:3:10 – Friday the 13th
- 00:37:40 – Bride of Frankenstein
- 01:10:45 – Re-Animator
NEXT WEEK: Julia Teti is back! The two of us will be touching on the work of the brilliant Chantal Akerman with a discussion on Jeanne Dielman, her most well-known film!
Music in this Episode: Theme from Friday the 13th composed by Harry Manfredini, trailers for Friday the 13th, Bride of Frankenstein, and Re-Animator.
- Extra Milestone – Brazil (1985), Edward Scissorhands (1990) - December 30, 2020
- Extra Milestone – Barry Lyndon (1975), Spartacus (1960), Ran (1985) - December 23, 2020
- Extra Milestone – Battleship Potemkin (1925), Harvey (1950), Clue (1985) - December 17, 2020