Promises are being fulfilled left and right on this week’s Extra Milestone, in which the long-awaited debut of podcast veteran Adonis Gonzalez finally takes place! Adonis and I have a trio of dramatically contrasting movies to discuss, starting with a lengthy exploration of John Ford’s depression-era adaptation of John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath. We continue with a discussion of Ishirō Honda’s character-defining Kaijū film (as well as Godzilla’s Shōwa Era as a whole) with Terror of MechaGodzilla, and we conclude with a celebration of the 10-year anniversary of Dreamworks’s How to Train Your Dragon. It was great to podcast with Adonis once more, and we hope to unite even more in the future. Enjoy!
- 00:04:30 – The Grapes of Wrath
- 00:44:50 – Terror of MechaGodzilla
- 01:17:30 – How to Train Your Dragon
NEXT TIME: Sam welcomes longtime friend, film enthusiast, and podcast newcomer Andrew McMahon to discuss Michelangelo Antonioni’s The Passenger and Michael Powell’s Peeping Tom!
Music in this episode: The opening theme of The Grapes of Wrath, composed by Ricky Ian Gordon; music from the trailers for The Grapes of Wrath, Terror of MechaGodzilla, and How to Train Your Dragon; the ending theme of Terror of MechaGodzilla, composed by Akira Ifukube.
- Extra Milestone – Brazil (1985), Edward Scissorhands (1990) - December 30, 2020
- Extra Milestone – Barry Lyndon (1975), Spartacus (1960), Ran (1985) - December 23, 2020
- Extra Milestone – Battleship Potemkin (1925), Harvey (1950), Clue (1985) - December 17, 2020