Settle in, listeners, because Julia Teti is back for this week’s Extra Milestone, and it’s for an undertaking of very subtle, methodical proportions. Julia and I have decided to touch on the most famous work of the late, great Chantal Akerman with her three-hour 1975 art house classic Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai Du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles. Celebrating 45 years this past May, the film has been revered by nearly all who have seen it, and continues to signify a wholly unique exploration of a day-to-day life seldom seen to this extent in cinema. With a legacy almost as impressive as its title and runtime, the two of us had plenty to say about this monolithic milestone that continues to have a tremendous impact today.
- 00:00:00 – Jeanne Dielman, 23, Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles
- 00:38:47 – (Spoilers) Details of the film’s final minutes are discussed
- 00:44:35 – Julia and Sam recommend a pair of newer releases to supplement Jeanne Dielman
NEXT WEEK: To cap off the milestone month of May, Jon Negroni finally gets his wish to discuss Federico Fellini’s La Dolce Vita on the anniversary of its Cannes release!
Music in this Episode: Sounds from the film Jeanne Dielman.
- Extra Milestone – Brazil (1985), Edward Scissorhands (1990) - December 30, 2020
- Extra Milestone – Barry Lyndon (1975), Spartacus (1960), Ran (1985) - December 23, 2020
- Extra Milestone – Battleship Potemkin (1925), Harvey (1950), Clue (1985) - December 17, 2020