More like Ridemaids. That’s right, Joy Ride hit theaters this past weekend, and you’ll never believe it. An R-rated raunchy comedy with positive reviews didn’t make a ton of money at the box office. We know. Super surprising! But because we don’t care about the Insidious franchise (and Jon watched Joy Ride twice for some reason), we thought it only fitting to find our cinematic Seoulmate. Well, Jon’s at least.
Joy Ride was directed by Adele Lim in her feature directorial debut and she developed the story with screenwriters Cherry Chevapravatdumrong and Teresa Hsiao. The film stars Ashley Park, Sherry Cola, Stephanie Hsu, and Sabrina Wu, Ronny Chieng, Meredith Hagner, David Denman, Annie Mumolo, and Timothy Simons. It opened nationwide on July 7 through Lionsgate Films and has a 95-minute runtime.
Our intro music this week is “Jazz is Good” by Weiter & TheMusicalcurrent.
- Email your feedback for the show to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com
- Join our Discord! We have a Cinemaholics channel here.
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton
- Check out our Cinemaholics Merch!
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Connect with Cinemaholics on Facebook and Instagram.
Synopsis for Joy Ride:
FOUR FRIENDS. ONE TRIP. NO LUCK. Four Asian-American friends travel through Asia in search of one of their birth mothers. Along the way, their experience becomes one of bonding, friendship, belonging and no-holds-barred debauchery. [Source: Letterboxd]