Special guest Cory Woodroof joins Will Ashton for an in-depth review of Doctor Sleep, a spiritual sequel to Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining, but also an adaptation of Stephen King’s novel of the same name starring Ewan McGregor and Rebecca Ferguson. In addition to reviewing Last Christmas and Playing with Fire, Cory and Will answer the question of the week, offer second opinions of Jojo Rabbit and Marriage Story, and briefly review Seth Meyers: Lobby Baby.
This week’s theme music is “Dies Irae / Violet,” which was composed by The Newton Brothers and can be found on the original soundtrack for Doctor Sleep.
Question of the Week: Which TV series deserves a big screen film adaptation? BONUS: Is James Mangold overrated, underrated, or just plain rated?
- 00:00:00 – Intro & Off-Topics
- 00:10:45 – Which Stephen King film or TV series was better than the source material?
- 00:25:20 – Second opinion: Jojo Rabbit
- 00:31:40 – Seth Meyers: Lobby Baby
- 00:40:30 – Second opinion: Marriage Story
- 00:44:45 – Doctor Sleep (Spoiler-free)
- 01:13:10 – Spoiler discussion of Doctor Sleep
- 01:24:00 – Last Christmas
- 01:46:00 – Playing with Fire
Links and Important stuff:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton.
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for full episodes and excerpts from the archives.
I was going to say Knight Rider but I guess Transformers is close enough…give us a Sopranos movie you cowards!
Community should get a movie for reasons that are beyond obvious. Also, I would like to take this moment to make clear that Cory Woodroof is a best friend of the show.
I’m going to cheat and advocate for two TV shows. The first is an easy one: Game of Thrones. It’s already been such a cinematic show, and I bet in a decade they could revisit Westeros with an ass kicking epilogue of some sort, perhaps as a retcon of the unsatisfying finale (and final season if we’re being frank).
Second choice for me is a totally different idea and that’s Freaks and Geeks. It’s one of my all time favorite shows (can’t recall if Jon or Will have seen it), and I would love to see the big cast come back together with John Francis Daley as screenwriter which would be so perfect and fitting. The show ended way before it got its due but a movie could be so refreshing and wonderful.
BONUS! James Mangold is rated. He gets plenty of credit rightfully so and I’ve yet to come across overhype or the opposite. He made Cop Land and Logan, dude is good.
This is a weird one, but MISFITS. Totally new cast. Actual budget. Make it happen!
Can’t say I’ve ever thought of James Mangold as underrated. Guy made WALK THE LINE.