Not all of us are in love with Clea DuVall’s latest film, Happiest Season, which is a Christmas romantic comedy on Hulu starring Kristen Stewart, Mackenzie Davis, Aubrey Plaza, and many more. Will and Abby take some time to review the latest “Small Axe” film from Steve McQueen on Amazon Prime Video: Lovers Rock. The whole gang joins the fun of The Twentieth Century, Matthew Rankin’s absurdist festival indie that might’ve stolen all our hearts. We also cover our mixed feelings on Alan Ball’s latest film since 2007, Uncle Frank, which boasts strong performances from Paul Bettany, Peter Macdissi, and Sophia Lillis. And last, Jon discusses Zappa, Alex Winter’s eclectic new documentary about the life of the infamous guitarist Frank Zappa.
Intro music: “By the Fireplace” by Aviary Day & Mark Generous
- 00:00:00 – Intro & Off-Topics
- 00:08:55 – Will’s brief thoughts on Mank, Hillbilly Elegy, and Folklore: The Long Pond Studio Sessions
- 00:19:50 – Listener voicemails: What are the best and worst Ron Howard movies? Voicemail question for next week: Do you think Citizen Kane is really a masterpiece?
- 00:25:55 – Happiest Season
- 00:50:30 – Lovers Rock
- 00:59:15 – The Twentieth Century
- 01:18:30 – Uncle Frank
- 01:31:55 – Zappa
Links to what we mentioned on the show:
- Check out our new Cinemaholics Merch!
- The “Swell” App, where you can leave a voice message for us to play on the podcast.
- Support some local theaters! Check out the Virtual Cinema offerings for the Screenland Armour in Kansas City, Row House Cinema in Pittsburgh, and the Roxie Theater in San Francisco.
Ways to connect with us:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton, Abby Olcese
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for show excerpts and bonus content