We’re sounding off this week for Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom, the new Netflix film that has Oscars in its sights for Viola Davis and the late Chadwick Boseman. We also cover Nomadland, a Best Picture frontrunner from writer/director Chloé Zhao and starring Frances McDormand. And there’s also Greenland, the newest Gerard Butler disaster flick that is surprisingly decent! Last, we do a retrospective of Small Axe, a collection of five films from director Steve McQueen, which you can now stream on Amazon Prime Video.
Intro music: “Merry Little Christmas” by Michael J. Goldberg
- 00:00:00 – Cobb & Cooper’s Rock Bottom
- 00:07:05 – Intro & Off-Topics
- 00:11:00 – Early thoughts on Soul, brief catchup on Anything for Jackson, David Byrne’s American Utopia, Bloody Nose Empty Pockets, Another Round
- 00:17:25 – Listener voicemails: Which Disney announcements are you most excited about?
- 00:26:10 – Ma Rainey’s Black Bottom
- 00:48:10 – Nomadland
- 01:07:10 – Greenland
- 01:24:50 – Small Axe retrospective of Mangrove, Lovers Rock, Red White and Blue, Alex Wheatle, and Education
Links to what we mentioned on the show:
- Check out our new Cinemaholics Merch!
- The “Swell” App, where you can leave a voice message for us to play on the podcast.
- Support some local theaters! Check out the Virtual Cinema offerings for the Screenland Armour in Kansas City, Harris Theater in Pittsburgh, and the Roxie Theater in San Francisco.
Ways to connect with us:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton, Abby Olcese
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for show excerpts and bonus content