Yes, all men. And by that we mean yes, all we talk about in this episode is Men, a new A24 folk horror from Alex Garland, director and writer of Ex Machina and Annihilation. Starring Jessie Buckley and Rory Kinnear(s), Men has everyone of all genders turning their heads…in the theater to ask the person behind them WTF they’re watching. In addition to our review of the film, we discuss some of the general critical reception to the movie, Alex Garland’s work leading up to this film, the latest buzz around this year’s Cannes Film Festival, and some other flicks hitting theaters and streaming this week. Finally, we finish up the show with some chit chat about Will’s first trip to California, Jon’s wedding, and some theatrical shenanigans in San Francisco.
- 00:00:00 – Intro/Off-Topics
- 00:12:55 – Men review
- 00:44:40 – Boys (talking about Jon’s wedding)
Intro Music: “Remember (feat. farewell)” by pikaa
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton
- Check out our Cinemaholics Merch!
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com.
- Connect with Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
Synopsis for Men
WHAT HAUNTS YOU WILL FIND YOU. In the aftermath of a personal tragedy, Harper retreats alone to the beautiful English countryside, hoping to find a place to heal. But someone or something from the surrounding woods appears to be stalking her. What begins as simmering dread becomes a fully-formed nightmare, inhabited by her darkest memories and fears. [Source: Letterboxd]
- Spiderhead – But also Cha Cha Real Smooth and Good Luck to You, Leo Grande! - June 22, 2022
- Lightyear – Pixar’s Star Trek - June 17, 2022
- Jurassic World Dominion, plus an obligatory Jurassic Park ranking - June 14, 2022