Good news, we don’t need a superpower pill to put on a powerful episode of Cinemaholics, which this week covers Project Power, now on Netflix and starring Jamie Foxx, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Dominique Fishback. We also discuss Boys State from A24, a documentary about Texas students who learn about politics by building a government of their own, which is now streaming on Apple TV+. Will describes the less magical elements of Magic Camp, a family comedy that just hit Disney+ starring Adam DeVine and Gillian Jacobs. And last, we have a heated debate about the controversial documentary Happy Happy Joy Joy, which is about the making of Nickelodeon’s pioneering ’90s cartoon “Ren and Stimpy” and the complicated legacy of its problematic show runner.
Music in this episode: “Flowers” by The Deli
- 00:00:00 – Just a normal Cinemaholics day
- 00:04:00 – Off-Topics; some new indie films we want to cover soon
- 00:09:30 – Jon caught up with Yes, God, Yes
- 00:11:55 – Project Power
- 00:30:10 – Boys State
- 00:38:20 – Magic Camp
- 00:48:00 – Happy Happy Joy Joy
Links to what we mentioned on the show:
- The “Swell” App, where you can leave a voice message for us to play on the podcast
Ways to connect with us:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton.
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for full episodes and excerpts from the archives.
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog 2’ goes boldly where so many blockbusters have gone before - April 4, 2022
- ‘Turning Red’ is pretty wild, even for Pixar - March 8, 2022
- ‘The Batman’ returns to the basics with a vengeance, but not an identity - February 28, 2022