Now playing in limited release through A24, Red Rocket is the seventh film directed by Sean Baker, which he co-writes with Chris Bergoch. Red Rocket stars Simon Rex as a former porn star named Mikey Saber, who returns to his hometown, Texas City, with no money or prospects. But he does have a whole lot of swagger, lies, and manipulation he can wield in order to get whatever he wants. The film premiered at the Cannes Film Festival earlier this year and features a strong ensemble cast with many unknown actors. You can also read our written review of Red Rocket here.
Intro Music: “Bye Bye Bye” by *NSYNC.
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton
- Check out our Cinemaholics Merch!
- Leave us a voicemail using The “Swell” App. We post new prompts every week or so.
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com.
- Connect with Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
Finding himself down and out in Los Angeles, ex porn star Mikey Saber decides to crawl back to his hometown of Texas City, Texas, where his estranged wife and mother-in-law are living. Just as this dysfunctional family seems to be making things work, Mikey meets a young woman named Strawberry working the cash register at a local doughnut shop. [Source: Letterboxd]
- Cinemaholics Podcast Review – The House, The Worst Person in the World, The Pink Cloud - January 24, 2022
- Cinemaholics Podcast Review – Scream (2022), The Tender Bar - January 18, 2022
- Cinemaholics Podcast – Top 10 Movies of 2021 - January 11, 2022