We had an out-of-body experience over the holidays checking out some major blockbuster films that hit streaming instead of theaters. There’s Pixar’s Soul, the latest from Pete Docter, which stars Jamie Foxx and Tina Fey. And we also cover the controversial Wonder Woman 1984 from Patty Jenkins, which stars Gal Gadot, Chris Pine, Kristen Wiig, and Pedro Pascal. Finally, we end the show with review of Emerald Fennell’s Promising Young Woman, another controversial film that was a hit on the festival circuit, and it stars Carey Mulligan and Bo Burnham.
Intro music: “Everything’s Okay.” by Mvdk
- 00:00:00 – Cinemaholics 1994
- 00:02:20 – Intro & Off-Topics
- 00:08:10 – Pop Culture Catchup: Sylvie’s Love, The Midnight Sky, News of the World, We Can Be Heroes, Death to 2020, Bridgerton, One Night in Miami, and Jon finally saw Tenet!
- 00:16:50 – Soul
- 00:48:55 – Wonder Woman 1984
- 01:16:50 – Promising Young Woman
Links to what we mentioned on the show:
- Check out our new Cinemaholics Merch!
- The “Swell” App, where you can leave a voice message for us to play on the podcast.
- Support some local theaters! Check out the Virtual Cinema offerings for the Screenland Armour in Kansas City, Harris Theater in Pittsburgh, and the Roxie Theater in San Francisco.
Ways to connect with us:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton, Abby Olcese
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for show excerpts and bonus content