The holiday season is upon us, so you know what that means! Time to celebrate the…prom? Well, OK, we’re really celebrating the annual big-budget December movie musical, which this year is Ryan Murphy’s The Prom, now streaming on Netflix and starring Meryl Streep, James Corden, Nicole Kidman, and Keegan-Michael Key. We cover several other movies as well, which include Julia Hart’s new indie noir drama I’m Your Woman on Amazon Prime Video starring Rachel Brosnahan, Steven Soderbergh’s Let Them All Talk (also starring Meryl Streep) on HBO Max, the hand-drawn animated film Wolfwalkers on Apple TV+, the time-bending indie Wander Darkly starring Diego Luna and Sienna Miller, and Songbird, which stars KJ Apa and Sofia Carson.
Intro music: “Christmas Time Is Here” by Vince Guaraldi Trio and “Jingle Bells” by Mil Dawn
- 00:00:00 – A Mister Millennial Christmas
- 00:04:30 – Intro & Off-Topics
- 00:08:15 – Listener voicemails: Are movie theaters dead? Voicemail question for next week: Which Disney announcements are you most excited about?
- 00:33:20 – The Prom
- 00:55:00 – I’m Your Woman
- 01:08:50 – Let Them All Talk
- 01:25:30 – Wolfwalkers
- 01:40:30 – Wander Darkly
- 01:45:40 – Songbird
Links to what we mentioned on the show:
- Check out our new Cinemaholics Merch!
- The “Swell” App, where you can leave a voice message for us to play on the podcast.
- Support some local theaters! Check out the Virtual Cinema offerings for the Screenland Armour in Kansas City, Harris Theater in Pittsburgh, and the Roxie Theater in San Francisco.
Ways to connect with us:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton, Abby Olcese
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for show excerpts and bonus content
That was deep af, Hipster Henry.
I’m interested in most of the Disney things, but the only projects I’m actually excited excited about are the animated movies, mainly Pixar. Other than that, there’s just nothing original to see here.
Mister Millennial, Peer Pressure Polly, Hipster Henry, and even Know it all Noel? We’ve been spoiled to bunches this week. Merry Christmas, Cinemaholics.
I fully expected to hate The Prom as I’m not really a Ryan Murphy fan, but good god this thing was entertaining! Music was catchy, performances were decent-to-great. Yeah, I’m surprised this is getting so much heat.
Legend has it Jon, Will, and Abby are still in the wrong bodies to this very day.