Special guest Abby Olcese joins us for a review of the new horror thriller The Rental, Dave Franco’s directorial debut starring Dan Stevens, Alison Brie, Sheila Vand, and Jeremy Allen White. We also discuss the dramedy Yes, God, Yes starring Natalia Dyer and the recent documentary John Lewis: Good Trouble. Plus we have some discussion about the role of VOD, streaming, and drive-ins as major theatrical releases continue to be delayed this year.
Music in this episode: “Affection” by Jinsang
- 00:00:00 – Will’s Jonless Vacation
- 00:02:25 – Intro & Off-Topics
- 00:05:05 – Jon’s been playing Ghost of Tsushima, and a listener asks us about the “Karen meme”
- 00:09:00 – New releases we didn’t catch this week
- 00:14:40 – Should more planned theatrical releases hit VOD and streaming instead?
- 00:22:00 – The Rental
- 00:52:10 – Yes, God, Yes
- 01:01:10 – John Lewis: Good Trouble
Links to what we mentioned on the show:
- Check out the Podcast episode about the “Karen meme” from Decoder Ring
- Abby’s streaming release column for Crooked Marquee
Ways to connect with us:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton.
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for full episodes and excerpts from the archives.