We have the need for Tom Cruise. Or at least a Tom Cruise Mission: Impossible movie with a Top Gun soundtrack. That’s right, we’re reviewing Top Gun: Maverick this week, which is a legacy sequel to the 1986 nostalgia classic. We open the show discussing why it’s flying high in terms of box office and critical reviews. Speaking of which, we also talk about Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers, a new Disney+ hybrid animation comedy that some are calling the spiritual successor to Who Framed Roger Rabbit? And we finish the show with a barrel roll, diving right into the acclaimed French drama, Happening, which is about a young woman trying to get an abortion in the 1960s. Talk about a triple feature!
- 00:00:00 – Why Top Gun 2 is a box office smash
- 00:19:45 – Top Gun: Maverick review
- 00:56:25 – Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers review
- 01:16:05 – Happening review
Intro Music: “Monday Blues” by Pastel
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton
- Check out our Cinemaholics Merch!
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com.
- Connect with Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
Synopsis for Top Gun: Maverick
FEEL THE NEED…THE NEED FOR SPEED. After more than thirty years of service as one of the Navy’s top aviators, Pete Mitchell is where he belongs, pushing the envelope as a courageous test pilot and dodging the advancement in rank that would ground him. [Source: Letterboxd]
Synopsis for Chip ‘n Dale: Rescue Rangers
IT’S NOT A REBOOT. IT’S A COMEBACK. Decades since their successful television series was canceled, Chip has succumbed to a life of suburban domesticity as an insurance salesman. Dale, meanwhile, has had CGI surgery and works the nostalgia convention circuit, desperate to relive his glory days. When a former cast mate mysteriously disappears, Chip and Dale must repair their broken friendship and take on their Rescue Rangers detective personas once again to save their friend’s life. [Source: Letterboxd]
Synopsis for Happening
Annie, a bright young student, is facing an unwanted pregnancy in 1960s France, when abortion is still illegal. [Source: Letterboxd]
- The Menu – Our Last Supper - November 23, 2022
- The Banshees of Inisherin – Talk About an Irish Goodbye! - November 22, 2022
- Black Panther: Wakanda Forever – Is This Your Sequel? - November 15, 2022