This week, we call Aaron Sorkin to the stand for his latest film The Trial of the Chicago 7, which is now on Netflix and stars Sacha Baron Cohen, Eddie Redmayne, Mark Rylance, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Yahya Abdul-Mateen II, and many more. We also find some time for love, or Love and Monsters to be specific, which stars Dylan O’Brien and Jessica Henwick. We discuss Spike Lee’s concert film, David Byrne’s American Utopia, which is now on HBO Max. Plus Spontaneous, a high school “sci fi black comedy” starring Katherine Langford and Charlie Plummer. And finally, The Kid Detective, a dark comedy starring Adam Brody and Sophie Nélisse.
Intro music: “Jovial” by Limes
- 00:00:00 – If Aaron Sorkin Wrote a Cinemaholics Sketch
- 00:04:00 – Intro & Off-Topics
- 00:08:05 – Mini reviews: Black Box, Nocturne, Evil Eye
- 00:15:00 – Mini review: The Mortuary Collection on Shudder
- 00:20:35 – The Trial of the Chicago 7
- 00:48:15 – Love and Monsters
- 00:55:40 – American Utopia
- 01:04:50 – Spontaneous
- 01:14:25 – The Kid Detective
Links to what we mentioned on the show:
- Check out our new Cinemaholics Merch on Patreon! (email/message us if you’re already a patron and want merch)
- The “Swell” App, where you can leave a voice message for us to play on the podcast.
Ways to connect with us:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton, Abby Olcese
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for show excerpts and bonus content