The Cinemaholics are going on a road trip! Metaphorically, at least. Our first pit stop this week is an in-depth review of Unpregnant, a buddy road trip comedy streaming exclusively on HBO Max, and it stars Haley Lu Richardson and Barbie Ferreira. Next, we travel all the way to the internet for The Social Dilemma, a new Netflix documentary about how social media is basically ruining society. Fun! After that, we head to France to discuss yet another Netflix film, Cuties, which has been caught in a maelstrom of controversy considering its sexual content. But that’s not all, we go on a detour out east for #Alive, a new South Korean zombie movie on (you guessed it) Netflix! Last, we head on home for an American documentary on Prime Video called All In: The Fight For Democracy, which is about voter suppression in these United States.
Music in this episode: “thinking of you” by mommy.
- 00:00:00 – Cinemaholics in the Mooooorning!
- 00:04:20 – Intro & Off-Topics
- 00:08:15 – Will’s TIFF check-in
- 00:10:45 – Listener feedback: What did you think of The Social Dilemma?
- 00:14:10 – Unpregnant
- 00:32:30 – The Social Dilemma
- 00:47:20 – Cuties
- 01:03:25 – #Alive
- 01:09:50 – All In: The Fight for Democracy
Links to what we mentioned on the show:
- The “Swell” App, where you can leave a voice message for us to play on the podcast
- Adonis Gonzalez’s written review of Rent-A-Pal on Cinemaholics
- Abby Olcese’s written review of Unpregnant on Crooked Marquee
- Adi Robertson’s review of The Social Dilemma on The Verge
Ways to connect with us:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton, Abby Olcese
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for show excerpts and bonus content
- ‘Jurassic World Dominion’ is a conclusion without evolution - June 8, 2022
- ‘Sonic the Hedgehog 2’ goes boldly where so many blockbusters have gone before - April 4, 2022
- ‘Turning Red’ is pretty wild, even for Pixar - March 8, 2022