Let’s talk about X. And Deep Water! Two movies that are doing it. One is an original 70s-based slasher horror in theaters from director Ti West starring Mia Goth and Jenna Ortega. The other is a psychological erotic thriller on Hulu from director Adrian Lyne starring Ben Affleck and Ana de Armas. Don’t worry, this episode of Cinemaholics gets more, ahem, heated than that movie. We also finish out the show with a fun breakdown of the movies we (mostly Will) saw at SXSW 2022.
- 00:00:00 – X review
- 00:39:40 – Deep Water review
- 01:05:00 – SXSW 2022 breakdown
Intro Music: “Les Pieds Dans Le Sable” by Clément Matras, Soul Food Horns & Birocratic
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton
- Check out our Cinemaholics Merch!
- Leave us a voicemail using The “Swell” App. We post new prompts every week or so.
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com.
- Connect with Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
Synopsis for X
DYING TO SHOW YOU A GOOD TIME. In 1979, a group of young filmmakers set out to make an adult film in a secluded farmhouse in rural Texas. Their reclusive, elderly hosts take a special interest in their young guests and, as night falls in, the couple’s leering interest takes a violent turn. [Source: Letterboxd]
Synopsis for Deep Water
THE LOVE STORY IS NEVER THE WHOLE STORY. Vic and Melinda Van Allen are a couple in the small town of Little Wesley. Their loveless marriage is held together only by a precarious arrangement whereby, in order to avoid the messiness of divorce, Melinda is allowed to take any number of lovers as long as she does not desert her family. [Source: Letterboxd]