A movie about imposter syndrome? Put us in, coach. That’s right, we’re talking Shazam! Fury of the Gods this week, which is the sequel to 2019’s action superhero comedy Shazam! David F. Sandberg returns as director and Zachary Levi returns as a superhero with the power of Greek gods who is secretly a teenager (Asher Angel). We discuss our thoughts on the film itself, as well as the box office and critical reception, which has been raising eyebrows. Plus we go over the future of DC superhero movies in the wake of James Gunn’s creative takeover at Warner Bros.
Intro Music: “Swing” by Who Needs to Chill & New Peace Music
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton
- Check out our Cinemaholics Merch!
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com.
- Connect with Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
Synopsis for Shazam! Fury of the Gods:
OH. MY GODS. Billy Batson and his foster siblings, who transform into superheroes by saying “Shazam!”, are forced to get back into action and fight the Daughters of Atlas, who they must stop from using a weapon that could destroy the world. [Source: Letterboxd]