Jon, Will, and Julia escape the daylight and discuss Midsommar, the latest “horror” film from director/writer Ari Aster and A24. Yes, we’re doing another bonus review on an A24 movie. We start with a spoiler-free overview of our thoughts, then we dive into spoiler-filled deep dive of the film. Midsommar stars Florence Pugh, Jack Reynor, William Jackson Harper, Will Poulter, and Vilhelm Blomgren.
Theme music: “Gassed” by Bobby Krlic from the Midsommar soundtrack.
Links and Important stuff:
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton.
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Don’t forget to review and rate the show on Apple Podcasts
- Email your feedback to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com. You might just hear your email read on next week’s episode!
- Like Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
- Check out our YouTube channel for full episodes and excerpts from the archives.
I didn’t catch all the religious allegory stuff, but Jon made a pretty good case for it. I’m a B- like Julia, took long!
Without getting into spoilers, I found the “push” scene toward the end to be seriously messed up, because what happened was completely against the character’s control.
Awesome discussion. I truly loved this movie and fully adored Pugh’s performance.
This was my favorite film discussion from you all so far this year. Made me want to watch the movie all over again with your thoughts in mind. I loved the portrait of grief, the shared pain scene, but also that beginning…such a perfect gut punch to kick things off, in the roughest way.