Elemental received a chilly reception at the box office in its opening weekend, and sparks are certainly flying between lovers and haters of Pixar’s 27th feature film. Some call it one of Pixar’s hottest while others find it to be watered down. So this week we review this force of nature film and discuss what works and doesn’t, plus we play the Rotten Tomatoes Game to see how the critical consensus is shaping up.
Elemental was directed by Peter Sohn, a longtime Pixar mainstay who previously directed The Good Dinosaur. Sohn also co-wrote the film with John Hoberg, Kat Likkel, and Brenda Hsueh, with Pete Docter serving as executive producer. The voice cast includes Leah Lewis, Mamoudou Athie, Ronnie del Carmen, Shila Ommi, Wendi McLendon-Covey, and Catherine O’Hara. Elemental premiered at the 76th Cannes Film Festival and was released nationwide through Disney on June 16. The runtime is a breezy 109 minutes.
Our intro music this week is “Gato” by TyLuv. & Strehlow.
- Email your feedback for the show to cinemaholicspodcast [at] gmail.com
- Join our Discord! We have a Cinemaholics channel here.
- Follow us on Twitter: Jon Negroni, Will Ashton
- Check out our Cinemaholics Merch!
- Check out our Patreon to support Cinemaholics!
- Connect with Cinemaholics on Facebook and Twitter.
Synopsis for Elemental:
OPPOSITES REACT. In a city where fire, water, land, & air residents live together, a fiery young woman & a go-with-the-flow guy will discover something elemental: How much they have in common. [Source: Letterboxd]